In this assignment, you will interview an early childhood teacher and observe the teacher’s classroom. In the interview, your goal is to determine variations in family structure and diversity the teacher has observed among students served during the past three years. In the observation, you are to identify ways in which the teacher demonstrates an understanding of diversity of children and their families and examples of activities and practices that promote inclusion or exclusion.
Part 1: Interview and Observation
Schedule an interview with an early childhood teacher. Obtain permission to observe his or her classroom.
- Interview an early childhood teacher about variations in family structure and diversity of families among students served during the past three years.
- Observe the teacher’s classroom. Note situations in which the teacher demonstratres an understanding of diversity in students and familes and examples of activities and practices that promote inclusion or exclusion.
Part 2: Interview and Observation Results
- Create a 4 to 6-page paper (not including the title or reference pages) in a Word document for your response.
- Use APA format for the title page, references page, and in-text citations.
- Develop an introduction and conclusion for your paper.
- Summarize the key ideas from the interview.
- Summarize the key ideas from the observation.
- Compare what the teacher you interviewed/observed has experienced related to diversity based on national statistics in early childhood classrooms.What other factors might the teacher need to consider related to diversity?
- Reflect on how would you do things the same and/or differently as the teacher you interviewed and observed. Support your response with research-based evidence.