Review the federal government’s Office of Public Management, which broadly covers the issues of human resources, located at http://www.opm.gov/. Next, go to Agency Services and review the section on Telework Management, located at http://www.opm.gov/services-for-agencies/telework-management/. Be prepared to discuss.
This week you will be graded on the following:
Discussion (20 points)
0%*This checklist is provided as a visual cue of your personal progress, usage and completion of this checklist is not graded.
- Career InsightsWEEK 5
Course Learning Outcome(s)
- Organize the concepts of planning and human resource management essential to the study of public administration as it relates to political choice.
- Chapter 6: The Management of Human Resources
- Lecture Topics: merit systems in public employment; hiring, firing, and things in between; the changing character of labor-management relations; and correcting patterns of discrimination in public employment.
- Discussion: Human Resource Management
- Note: Online students, please respond to two (2) of the following four (4) bulleted items.
- Take a position on whether or not the practice of the spoils system is evident within today’s public administration agencies. Provide two to three (2-3) examples of such evidence in order to support your response.
- Review the information on Pendleton Act of 1883 located in Chapter 6 of the textbook. Hypothesize three to four (3-4) revisions that a law maker could consider in order to improve performance and eliminate political influence in today’s government agencies. Provide a rationale for your response.
- From the weekly readings, review the fundamental manner in which the National Performance Review has contributed to civil service reinvention since 2000. Debate whether or not the contributions from George W. Bush and Barrack Obama have made a significant difference towards administrative reform overall. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- From the e-Activity, analyze the overall manner in which Telework Management could impact the federal budget. Provide three to four (3-4) examples of such an impact in order to support your response.